What needs to happen if a building connected to city water and sewer is being demolished?

Customer must email the City Customer Service Department or call at 904-825-1037 and request that the water meter be pulled prior to demolition. Customer and customer’s contractor are responsible for protecting existing water and sewer service taps and water meter box during all demolition and construction activities. The City will not be responsible for damage caused during demolition and construction activities. Should damage occur, the customer is responsible for paying the City for any repairs/replacement needed to restore the services to good working order. Customer is responsible for removing the water line from the building up to the meter box and for capping the existing sewer lateral at the right-of-way / property line and for marking its location.

10-Year Rules

  • In the case of a new building to be constructed on the site of a previous building which was served by city water and/or sewer prior to being demolished, the applicant must pay the flow proportional connection charges established in this chapter based on the increase in flow between the building which was demolished and the new building. The burden for documenting the previous use of the building and the associated flow rests with the applicant. In the event that the previous building was demolished in excess of ten years from the date the new building is built or the city water and/or sewer flow or connections have been unused in excess of ten years from the date that the new building is built, the connection charges will be based solely on the new building.
  • Regardless of the condition of any existing structure on the property, in the case where utility service to a property has been inactive, abandoned or otherwise unused without payment of service or flow through the service either water or sewer in excess of ten years from the last known paid utility bill, the property is considered abandoned and carries no credit for flow based fees for the property. To re-establish service the application is treated as new service whereby new taps, service line, laterals and payment of the flow proportional connection charges shall be required in accordance with City Code as if a new property.

Reconnecting Services

Contact the City Customer Service Department at 904-825-1037 for all questions, information and directives related to the water and sewer account or the water meter and for disconnecting and reconnecting service. Plan ahead and allow ample time for reconnection of services. During construction of the replacement building, the contractor may request a “Construction Water Only” account in contractor’s name to not be charged sewer usage for construction water.

What the City Owns

The City of St. Augustine assumes the continued use of all existing water and sewer service taps. Continued use is required, or the unused service must be abandoned at the main line with costs borne by the customer. The City owns the water service from the water main up to and including the meter and meter box and the sewer service from the sewer main up to the right-of-way/property line. The gravity sewer cleanout that is required just inside the customer’s property line is the customer’s responsibility. All plumbing from the water meter and sewer cleanout to the building are the customer’s responsibility.

Sewer Cleanout

Customer and customer’s contractor are responsible for installing a sewer cleanout one foot inside the property line (if this cleanout is not present and in good condition). Building sewer connection must be made to lateral stubout, not cut-into cleanout standpipe. Only gasketed fittings are allowed below ground – no screw-on or glued fittings. Cleanout cap must be adjusted to finished grade. Cleanouts in sidewalks shall be ADA compliant. Cleanouts in vehicular traffic areas shall be H-20 traffic rated.

Show All Answers

1. How can I get information about utility service?
2. What are utility flow-based fees for typical uses?
3. What are the payment options for utility connection charges?
4. How long will it take to provide water/sewer service to a residence?
5. When should I pay utility connection charges?
6. When will the city install new utility services to a residence?
7. Where will the new water/sewer services be located for my residence?
8. How do I unlock my water meter, set up, activate or change a city utility account?
9. Why are utility connection fees charged?
10. What do I need to do if I have a change-of-use, increase in use or additional use at my property?
11. If my water/sewer is already connected, why do I need an availability request form?
12. Are utility connection charges transferable or refundable?
13. Do utility connection charges expire?
14. What needs to happen if a building connected to city water and sewer is being demolished?
15. The property is outside city limits; why should I contact the City for utility service?
16. Is city water/sewer connection mandatory?
17. What is the difference between gravity sewer versus pressurized (forcemain) sewer?
18. How do I get installation and connection of private building service line to water/sewer service?
19. What are the requirements for existing well and septic tank after connection to city water/sewer?
20. What is the responsibility for maintenance and repair of service connections?
21. What is the landscape irrigation water meter?
22. What are the backflow prevention requirements?
23. Is the city responsible for water/sewer service installation?