What do I need to do if I have a change-of-use, increase in use or additional use at my property?

Submit a Request form to inquire about a Change-of-Use, Increase in Intensity of Use, or Additional Use at a specific property. Proposed building/business changes can trigger required updates to City utility records and flow-based fees may be due.

A paid receipt for such utility fees may be required prior to changing the use of a property, increasing the intensity of use, adding a use, and/or to obtain a Building Permit, Business License or Certificate of Occupancy. Paid utility fees for a specific property are attached to that property and are not transferable should the business decide to relocate.

Flow-Based Fees

Flow-based fees are calculated based on City Code Sections 26-51 and 26-53. Flow-based fees are a one-time charge for a specific use or flow that is calculated for the property. There is no “generic use” to calculate flow-based fees; the City Public Works Department will not permit “shell buildings”; the applicant must choose a specific use from City Code Section 26-53 for a proposed building or business modification.

How Flow Is Calculated

If the flow for the proposed use is higher than the flow that was paid for the previous use of that property, then additional flow-based fees will be due to change the use, increase the intensity of use, or add a use. If the proposed flow is equal to or lower than the previous use, then no additional flow-based fees would be due. The flow is calculated in gallons per day (GPD) in accordance with the uses listed in City Code Section 26-53. For this purpose, the term "flow" does not mean actual gallons of water used, such as on a monthly utility bill.

City staff will research previously paid flow-based fees (flow credit) using all available resources; however, the ultimate burden for documenting a claim of flow credit rests with the applicant.

No Grandfathered Rights

Do not assume that an existing or previous business has any "grand fathering" rights in terms of flow credit or paid flow-based fees. Submit a Request form and get the City's official flow credit determination.

Show All Answers

1. How can I get information about utility service?
2. What are utility flow-based fees for typical uses?
3. What are the payment options for utility connection charges?
4. How long will it take to provide water/sewer service to a residence?
5. When should I pay utility connection charges?
6. When will the city install new utility services to a residence?
7. Where will the new water/sewer services be located for my residence?
8. How do I unlock my water meter, set up, activate or change a city utility account?
9. Why are utility connection fees charged?
10. What do I need to do if I have a change-of-use, increase in use or additional use at my property?
11. If my water/sewer is already connected, why do I need an availability request form?
12. Are utility connection charges transferable or refundable?
13. Do utility connection charges expire?
14. What needs to happen if a building connected to city water and sewer is being demolished?
15. The property is outside city limits; why should I contact the City for utility service?
16. Is city water/sewer connection mandatory?
17. What is the difference between gravity sewer versus pressurized (forcemain) sewer?
18. How do I get installation and connection of private building service line to water/sewer service?
19. What are the requirements for existing well and septic tank after connection to city water/sewer?
20. What is the responsibility for maintenance and repair of service connections?
21. What is the landscape irrigation water meter?
22. What are the backflow prevention requirements?
23. Is the city responsible for water/sewer service installation?