Why are utility connection fees charged?

Connection charges are established and adjusted from time to time by Resolution of the City Commission passed after public hearing. Charges must be paid prior to service being provided. Customer is responsible for costs associated with making connection to the City utility, including but not limited to:

  • Flow-based fees related to treatment facility, transmission and distribution and collection system capital improvements
  • Inspections of the actual connection and line extensions
  • Labor
  • Materials
  • Permits
  • Restoration

Cannot Be Waived

According to Section 26-51 of the City of St. Augustine Code of Ordinances, Utility Connection Fees must be paid in order to provide utility service. Utility Connection Fees cannot be waived or transferred to/from another property. See the Water and Sewer Fee Schedule (PDF) for a complete listing of fees. Descriptions of the various Utility Connection Fees are provided below:

Flow Based Fees

Flow-based fees cover treatment facility improvements and maintenance, and collection, transmission and distribution system improvements and maintenance. Flow-based fees are calculated based on City Code Sections 26-51 and 26-53. Flow-based fees are a one-time charge for a specific use or flow that is calculated for the property. There is no “generic use” to calculate flow-based fees; the City Public Works Department will not permit “shell buildings”; the applicant must choose a specific use from City Code Section 26-53 for a proposed building or business modification.

Additional Fees

If the “Flow” (calculated in gallons per day by City Code Section 26-53) for the proposed use is higher than the flow that was paid for the previous use of that property, then additional flow-based fees will be due to change the use, increase the intensity of use, or add a use. If the proposed flow is equal to or lower than the previous use, then no additional flow-based fees would be due.

Other Fees Charged

  • A Northwest Area Forcemain Surcharge fee is charged to connect a property to City sewer service within the City’s Northwest Area Forcemain Overlay area in accordance with City Code.
  • Restoration Fees are intended for the costs required to restore easements, rights-of-way and roadways to pre-construction conditions following a service tap installation.
  • Permit Fees are intended for the necessary work and fees that are charged to the City for various required permits on service tap installations.
  • Inspection Fees are intended for the costs involved with City utility inspection services.

What the City Can Charge

The City has the right to charge for extensions and special or non-standard installations. In these cases, actual in-house costs (parts, equipment and labor plus overhead), plus any necessary outside consultant or contractor costs, plus 25% administration.

Show All Answers

1. How can I get information about utility service?
2. What are utility flow-based fees for typical uses?
3. What are the payment options for utility connection charges?
4. How long will it take to provide water/sewer service to a residence?
5. When should I pay utility connection charges?
6. When will the city install new utility services to a residence?
7. Where will the new water/sewer services be located for my residence?
8. How do I unlock my water meter, set up, activate or change a city utility account?
9. Why are utility connection fees charged?
10. What do I need to do if I have a change-of-use, increase in use or additional use at my property?
11. If my water/sewer is already connected, why do I need an availability request form?
12. Are utility connection charges transferable or refundable?
13. Do utility connection charges expire?
14. What needs to happen if a building connected to city water and sewer is being demolished?
15. The property is outside city limits; why should I contact the City for utility service?
16. Is city water/sewer connection mandatory?
17. What is the difference between gravity sewer versus pressurized (forcemain) sewer?
18. How do I get installation and connection of private building service line to water/sewer service?
19. What are the requirements for existing well and septic tank after connection to city water/sewer?
20. What is the responsibility for maintenance and repair of service connections?
21. What is the landscape irrigation water meter?
22. What are the backflow prevention requirements?
23. Is the city responsible for water/sewer service installation?