Where can City utilities be installed?

City utilities can only be installed in public rights-of-way that are opened and improved, or in City tracts or utility easements. Such tracts or easements are only as approved in advance by the City Manager and City Public Works Department on a case-by-case basis. Refer to the City's Standards Manual (PDF) for specific information. Email Public Works Permits for the City's legal form requirements for easements.

All rights-of-way, tracts and easements shall be improved and maintained to provide continuous access. No City utilities shall be constructed in any unimproved area.

City Utility Location

Ample clear space between mains and such improvements shall be provided as determined in advance by City staff. City utilities shall not be located along side or rear lot lines. No City utilities shall be located under any structure or feature, including:

  • Buildings
  • Embankments and berms
  • Recreation courts
  • Retention ponds
  • Swimming pools

Show All Answers

1. How can I get construction water from a hydrant meter?
2. What are the sizes of the water tap and meter and what services are offered by domestic and fire services?
3. Are double or combined services allowed?
4. Are "Master Meters" allowed? Or, a single meter for more than one building or unit?
5. How do I request a Fire Hydrant Flow Test?
6. Is the city responsible for water/sewer service installation?
7. Can development of property not adjacent to existing City water / sewer lines be built?
8. Where can City utilities be installed?