News Flash


Posted on: January 10, 2020

City offers Waterworks Building presentation and tour

image of Waterworks Building stage

St. Johns County Main Branch hosts event on Saturday, January 25 at 10:30am

The Waterworks Building in Davenport Park on San Marco Ave. will be on display for a tour on Saturday, January 25, following a presentation by Jenny Wolfe, the City of St. Augustine’s Historic Preservation Officer, at the St. Johns County Public Library Main Branch, starting at 10:30am.   Registration is required and is available online at or by contacting the library directly at 904.827.6940.

The presentation will provide a history of the building, starting with it being the city’s first water works pumping station, as well as an update on the recent reconstruction efforts to stabilize, rehabilitate, and restore significant building features.  The most recent work was funded through historic preservation grants from the State of Florida.

During the walking tour, guests will see first-hand the renovations which included securing the exterior walls, restoring windows and doors, and the removal of the non-historic addition on the west side of the building.  Historic finishes and materials are now visible on the inside although the interior restoration has yet to be completed.

The Waterworks building, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was built in 1898 as the pumping station for the city’s first water utility and remained in service until a new water plant opened in 1927 on West King St. The site was then developed into Davenport Park and the building continued in use as a little theatre, then home for the St. Augustine Arts Club, and later as the St. Augustine Garden Club.

In 2005 the building was deemed unsafe when inspections reveled that mortar had been reduced to powder in some places threatening the stability of the brick walls that were carrying the load of a heavy truss system. The city began a diligent pursuit of historic preservation funding that would enable the restoration of the building.

For more information about the Waterworks Building, contact the city’s Planning & Building Department at 904.825.1065.  Contact St. Johns County Library Main Branch at 904.827.6940 to reserve your spot for the presentation and tour on January 25.  Download the event flyer.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Home

Charismatic red cedar

Fish Island Progress Update

Posted on: September 23, 2020
Coquina Park

City Confirms Name for Coquina Park

Posted on: September 19, 2020
City Manager John Regan stands at the drive-through window with city staff inside the building, both

Thermometer project launches

Posted on: April 20, 2020
two hands dissecting a piece of coal

March is Florida Archaeology Month

Posted on: March 6, 2020
backhoe and crane equipment on a barge near a boat ramp

Dredging to begin in Salt Run

Posted on: February 28, 2020
large white brick church with steps leading to the front door

City Conducting Historic Resource Survey

Posted on: February 13, 2020
image of Streets and Ground staff standing behind a table with saplings ready for distribution

Arbor Day is January 17

Posted on: January 9, 2020
Archaeology team of three people digging in a trench on Charlotte Street at the site of Los Remedios

Charlotte Street excavations concluded

Posted on: November 15, 2019
St Augustine Logo

Public Works Department gets reorganized

Posted on: November 2, 2019
Headshot photo of Fire Chief Carlos Aviles with Flagler College tower in the background

Fire Chief appointed to board

Posted on: October 18, 2019
Photo of cottage on Coquina property with dirt pile

Q&A gathering at 91 Coquina Avenue

Posted on: October 9, 2019