- 4 @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Historic Preservation Master Plan
Work on the Historic Preservation Master Plan began in 2015 with the help of the National Alliance of Preservation Commissions, who introduced the concept of a historic preservation master plan during a historic preservation open house. This was followed up by a survey to gather initial public input. In January 2016, Preservation Design Partnership, LLC, was brought on to develop the Plan. After multiple meetings with the public, the Historic Architectural Review Board (HARB), and Planning and the Zoning Board (PZB), the plan was completed and adopted on October 22, 2018.
For more information on the planning process and for a copy of the final plan, visit the Historic Preservation Master Plan page.
Historic Preservation Element of the Comprehensive Element
The Historic Preservation (HP) Element of the Comprehensive Plan is under review and being updated along with the other elements of the Comp Plan. Some of the major changes between the existing plan and the proposed HP element is that the proposed language expands the perspective of preservation, recognizes that the Archaeology Program is growing, and tries to encourage more participation from outside stakeholders. It also incorporates discussion on Cultural Resources and on Hazard Mitigation.
For more information on the Comprehensive Plan 2040 update, click here.
Resilient Heritage in the Nation’s Oldest City is a publication produced as a result of a DHR Small Matching grant ($50,000 with equal city matching funds). It focuses on the impacts of flooding events on the city and the impacts of sea level rise on the city's archaeological and historic resources. The multi-disciplined consulting team developed the publication with a perspective on policy, design, and economics.
The Anastasia Island Survey was completed in 2015 with a $50,000 DHR Small Matching Grant. The survey focused on recording structures in the Florida Master Site File (FMSF) and focused on buildings constructed before 1965 and located on Anastasia Island within the city’s jurisdiction. In all, seven hundred and seventy-five (775) structures were identified, sixty-five (65) of which were previously recorded and seven hundred and ten (710) were newly recorded during the survey. Six hundred and thirty-two (632) were considered as eligible for designation or as a contributing resource to a National Register Historic District. The remaining were considered either ineligible or non-contributing. A related report and GIS layers were also created to describe the results of the survey.
St. Augustine Civil Rights Sites (2016)
The Civil Rights Survey identified properties related to the Civil Rights Movement in St. Augustine and evaluated them for consideration on the National Register of Historic Places. The project was accomplished with funds from the DHR Small Matching grant program ($50,000). This survey produced a Multiple Property Submission Cover form, National Register nomination forms for the properties considered eligible for listing, and Florida Master Site File Forms for sites and properties that had not been previously completed. The survey was completed in June of 2017 and is pending final review and future edits with guidance from the Florida Division of Historical Resources. Designations of these sites can occur on an individual basis with additional research and review by the state historic preservation office once the umbrella listing has been accepted.
The St. Augustine National Register Historic District Survey Report was funded by a $50,000 DHR Small Matching grant. The report was a follow up to surveys completed between 1979 and 1981 and in 1999. The survey captured historic resources previously recorded as well as resources constructed after 1935 and during the “Restoration” era of Spanish Colonial reconstructions. In all, there were three hundred and forty-seven (347) resources surveyed. Of these, twenty-three (23) were newly recorded, three hundred and thirteen (313) were considered eligible for listing in the St. Augustine National Register District, and sixty-three (63) were considered to be potentially eligible for listing in an amended Town Plan National Historic Landmark district.
The goal of this survey project was not to record additional archaeological sites but to conduct additional research and to record of all known archaeological investigations within the Spanish Colonial ‘walled city’ on Florida Master Site File forms. Funds from a DHR Small Matching grant ($75,000) covered the costs for a private consulting team to conduct this work. Many archaeological investigations have occurred over the course of 80 years and were not available for research outside of the city’s archaeology lab because there was limited documentation on file at the state office. A report on the project methodology was included along with geospatial data that recorded approximate survey locations and feature classes.
The West Augustine Survey was funded by a DHR Small Matching grant ($50,000) and was completed in 2020. The yearlong survey recorded over 600 structures within West Augustine and the neighborhood surrounding Fort Mose on the Florida Master Site File (FMSF) inventory. The consultants conducting the survey also provided a report on recommendations regarding structures that may be eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places, either individually or as part of a district. Data was also documented in geospatial layers. St. Johns County completed a resource survey in 2008 and can be found here.
The historic St. Augustine Waterworks building, located at 184 San Marco Avenue, was constructed in 1898 and served as a pumping station for the city's waterworks system until 1926 when a new facility was constructed. Two years after closing, in 1928, the Waterworks was converted into a community center and was used by the Little Theater of St. Augustine, the St. Augustine Art Association, the Fire Camps Girls, and the St. Augustine Garden Club in ensuing years. During that time, the building saw multiple changes and additions. While widely used since its construction, the building sat vacant since 2005.
In 2019, the city received a Florida Division of Historical Resources (DHR) Special Category Grant ($240,000) to continue work on the building. This requires a 1:1 match of city funds. The grant was ranked #4 out of 18 other statewide grants. With this grant, the city plans to restore the plaster finishes, install utilities, and reconstruct the music platform among other work. Restroom facilities and ADA compliance equipment will be included with the city’s Capital Improvement Program funding.
The first grant for this project was a DHR Small Matching Grant ($50,000) with additional matching funds and in-kind services ($85,000) offered by the city. A previous DHR Special Category grant was awarded to continue the work from the first project ($350,000) and was paired with the city’s required fifty-percent match funds ($175,000). The funds from these grants were used to reconstruct the eastern and northern walls, repair the roof, remove and reinstall the exterior band of stucco, repoint the western wall and bay window, restore and reconstruct the windows and doors, and remove non-historic interior finishes and the 1970s addition among other projects.
In 1983, the City of St. Augustine became a Certified Local Government (CLG). As part of being a CLG, the City receives regular assistance and training from the DHR, which can come in the form of on-site workshops. Regional and statewide workshops are held every two years and focus on different preservation topics and on the educational needs of the local CLG.
In 2013, the City co-hosted a CLG workshop with the Florida Trust for Historic Preservation, and in 2018 and 2019, the City also directly hosted CLG workshops using the training program offered by the National Alliance of Preservation Commissions (NAPC) through the Commission Assistance and Mentoring Program (CAMP).
For information on upcoming CLG workshops, contact the Historic Preservation Division.
Wayfinding Signs and Markers (2015)
With funds provided by a DHR Small Matching grant ($30,000), plaques were installed on over thirty (30) historic properties throughout downtown St. Augustine. The markers serve to provide some interpretation of the participating sites and include digital (QR) reference codes, which are linked to a map of nearby historic sites and to the Florida Master Site File Forms for related properties. While creating the markers, the property owners worked with Historic Preservation staff to review the text and determine the location of the markers.
Archaeology Exhibit in the VIC: St. Augustine, America’s Enduring Colony 1565-1821 (2016)
With the help of grant funds from the DHR Small Matching grant program ($40,000), an exhibit about the evolution of the St. Augustine Town Plan through the Colonial periods was created. The exhibit utilized artifacts representing Colonial lifestyles and is currently on display at the Visitors Information Center. During the process of this project, extensive research was conducted to develop the interpretation program through artifacts, historic images, and narrative programs. Jody Marcil Design Studio designed and fabricated a visitor circulation pattern, 12 major display units/cases, thematic visual panels, and a concept design for rotating exhibits and smaller infill displays which can be used as rotating exhibits.