Flood Insurance

Most homeowners’ insurance policies do not cover a property for flood damage. But that does not mean flood insurance is not available to you.

National Flood Insurance Program

The City of St. Augustine participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), which allows local insurance agents to sell area homeowners an NFIP flood insurance policy under rules and standard rates set by the federal government. You can purchase an NFIP flood insurance policy, which is separate from your homeowners’ insurance. Any house in St. Augustine can be covered by a flood insurance policy. Detached garages and other accessory buildings are covered under the policy for the main building on the lot.

Type of Coverage

There are two types of coverage you can purchase:

  • Structural coverage covers everything that stays with a house when it’s sold, including cabinets, built-in appliances and wall-to-wall carpeting. The maximum amount of structural coverage is $250,000 for residential policies and $500,000 for commercial policies.
  • Contents coverage covers furniture and other personal possessions except money, valuable papers, etc. Renters may purchase contents coverage, even if the owner does not buy structural coverage. The maximum amount of contents coverage available is $100,000 for residential policies and $500,000 for commercial policies.

Waiting Period

Remember: Don’t wait for the next flood to buy insurance. There is a 30-day waiting period before NFIP coverage goes into effect. More information about flood insurance can be found at The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) website.