Zone IA is in the colonial downtown district and contains archaeological deposits dating from the 1600s onward. Notable landmarks include the Castillo de San Marcos National Monument, the City Gate, and the Cubo Line. European settlement in this subzone initially occurred on an elevated dune ridge (along present-day St. George Street) and spread east and west during the late 1600s to early 1700s.
Zone IB contains archaeological deposits from the 1600s onward, including the original downtown settlement of St. Augustine (established in 1572) and the Plaza (established in 1598). This subzone also includes the church and cemetery of La Soledad, which was in use between 1572 and 1793.
Baptiste Boazio Map
The original settlement is depicted on the 1586 Baptiste Boazio Map, the oldest-known illustration of a European community in the continental United States.
Zone IC encompasses the southernmost portion of the Spanish colonial walled city, a Franciscan convento, and the 1700s Yamassee mission community of Nuestra Señora del Rosario de la Punta.
Zone ID contains a variety of archaeological deposits that represent more than 4,000 years of human occupation. This subzone includes:
- The Historic Timucuan Indian Village of Seloy
- The Location of the 1565 MenéNdez Encampment
- The 1600S to 1700S Indian Mission Community of Nombre De Dios
- A 1700S British Farming Enterprise
Zone IE contains archaeological deposits associated with the 1700s African-American site of Fort Mose, the first free Black community in the continental United States. This subzone also includes Native American settlements dating to both prehistoric and historic periods.