A total of 18 archaeological zones within the City limits encompass areas that are known or thought to contain buried archaeological resources dating back 4,000 years ago.
Each of the zones are categorized into three tiers: I, II, and III. These tiers correspond to the density of cultural deposits, the amount of time it takes to document resources, and the fee percentage associated with an A14 Archaeological Review Application.
Archaeology Preservation Ordinance
The City's Archaeological Preservation Ordinance was one of the first in the United States and is unique because it evaluates and protects archaeological deposits on both public and private properties. Per the ordinance, archaeological review is part of the City’s permitting process. If a building, utility, or right-of-way project occurs within a defined Archaeological Zone, spans 100 square feet in width, and extends 3 inches deep, the work requires an archaeological review by the City Archaeologist.
For assistance with completing an A14 Archaeological Review Application, locating properties within an Archaeology Zone, or determining whether archaeology is required, please contact the Planning and Building Department at 904-825-1065.
Zone IA is in the colonial downtown district and contains archaeological deposits dating from the 1600s onward. Notable landmarks include the Castillo de San Marcos National Monument, the City Gate, and the Cubo Line. European settlement in this subzone initially occurred on an elevated dune ridge (along present-day St. George Street) and spread east and west during the late 1600s to early 1700s.
Zone IB contains archaeological deposits from the 1600s onward, including the original downtown settlement of St. Augustine (established in 1572) and the Plaza (established in 1598). This subzone also includes the church and cemetery of La Soledad, which was in use between 1572 and 1793.
Zone IC encompasses the southernmost portion of the Spanish colonial walled city, a Franciscan convento, and the 1700s Yamassee mission community of Nuestra Señora del Rosario de la Punta.
Zone ID contains a variety of archaeological deposits that represent more than 4,000 years of human occupation. This subzone includes the Timucuan Indian village of Seloy, the 1565 Menéndez encampment, mission Nombre De Dios, and a 1700s British farming enterprise.
Zone IE contains archaeological deposits associated with the 1700s African American site of Fort Mose, the first free Black community in the continental United States. This subzone also includes Native American settlements dating to both prehistoric and historic periods.
Zone IIA contains a wide variety of sites associated with prehistoric Native American and historic European settlements. Notable resources dating to the 1700s include portions of the Nombre De Dios mission, the Hornabeque defensive line, and a British farming enterprise. This subzone also includes the mid-1800s Abbott Tract, which was the first neighborhood in St. Augustine outside of the colonial downtown district.
Zone IIB contains archaeological deposits associated with 1800s urban agricultural enterprises and the African American community of Lincolnville, which was established in the years following the American Civil War.
Zone IIC contains archaeological deposits associated with the Indian mission community of Nuestra Señora de la Concepción de Pocotalaca, established by the Yamassee Indians during the 1700s. This subzone also has archaeological deposits associated with 1800s agricultural enterprises, such as the Martin Hernández orange grove.
Zone IID contains archaeological deposits associated with the Indian mission community of Nuestra Señora de la Assunción de Palica, established in the 1700s by Timucuan Indians. This subzone also encompasses portions of the post-Civil War African American community of Lincolnville.
Zone IIE contains deposits associated with the Indian mission settlement of Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe de Tolomato, established by Guale Indians in the 1700s. This subzone also includes deposits associated with the late-1800s Model Land Company development.
Zone IIF contains the Catholic cemetery of Tolomato, which was the site of a 1700s church associated with the Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe de Tolomato mission settlement.
Zone IIG contains archaeological deposits associated with the southwest portion of the Mose Line, a defensive earthen berm associated with the Second Fort Mose (1752 to 1763). This subzone also includes the 1800s Fairbanks plantation.
Zone IIH contains archaeological deposits that occur along the 1600s to 1700s road that led from the coquina stone quarries on Anastasia Island to Escolta Creek, where the stone was then ferried to St. Augustine. This subzone also includes a large prehistoric Native American site that dates to approximately 4,000 to 1,300 years ago.
Zone IIIA includes areas of Lincolnville not incorporated into Zones IIB, IIC, and IID. Lincolnville was established by African-Americans after the Civil War and is a vibrant component of St. Augustine’s multicultural history. This subzone also includes 1700s British defensive fortifications and 1800s urban agricultural enterprises.
Zone IIIB includes deposits associated with lookouts and lighthouses that were both beacons and guardians of St. Augustine’s harbor. This subzone also includes coquina outcrops that have been quarried since the late 1670s.
Zone IIIC contains archaeological deposits associated with prehistoric and historic occupations along Oyster Creek.
Zone IIID contains archaeological deposits associated with prehistoric and historic occupations along the east bank of the San Sebastian River.
Zone IIIE contains archaeological deposits associated with prehistoric occupations south of Red House Branch Creek.
Google Map of Archaeological Zones
Please note that zone boundaries seen are not exact. These maps are intended to be a resource for general information and should not be used as the authority in determining whether or not a property is within a zone. If a property is in question, please call the City of St. Augustine Planning and Building Department at 904-825-1065.