2017 Neighborhood Grant applications being accepted
The City of St. Augustine opens the application period for the 2017 Neighborhood Grant Program.
Applicant for a neighborhood grant may be either:
- a neighborhood association member of the St. Augustine Neighborhood Council verified by the Council via letter;
- the Council itself for projects that benefit the entire association membership of the Council;
- an organization representing a group of residents of a particular neighborhood;
- a group of residents of a particular neighborhood.
Eligible projects fall into one of these categories:
- Improvements: a tangible physical asset, either new or existing, located on public space;
- Communication: print material, web design/maintenance to benefit the neighborhood;
- Education: workshops, classes, speakers for the benefit of the neighborhood.
Grants were awarded in 2016 for a wide variety of projects including a marker and a mural documenting the history of two neighborhoods, a walking tour brochure describing the history of homes in one neighborhood, a pet waste station, and neighborhood identification street signs.
From some of the experiences after Hurricane Matthew, applicants are encouraged to seek ways grants may be used to strengthen communication within their neighborhoods and with others throughout the city.
Completed applications must be received by 12:00pm (noon), Thursday, February 23, 2017, in the Public Affairs Department (elevator "B," 3rd floor), City Hall, 75 King St., St. Augustine, FL 32084.
Applications are evaluated by a committee of city staff members which presents a package of recommended projects and funding for each to the city manager. Upon approval by the city manager, appropriate staff will meet with each project coordinator to review the work plan, timeline, policies and procedures in keeping with city rules and regulations after which project work may commence. Funds are made available as reimbursements only, and only after receiving appropriate documentation of expenditures and verification that the project has been completed. All work must be completed and reimbursable funds expended by September 8, 2017.
The City Commission budgeted a total of $15,000 for this year's grant program.Call the Public Affairs Department at 904.825.1004, or send an email to info@CityStAug.com for more information.