Archaeology

Hurricane

Season

Is Here


Prepare Now

 
Learn More

Site Discoveries

Artist’s reconstruction of the church and possible council house at la Punta.Nuestra Senora del Rosario de la Punta: Situated in Archaeological Zone IC, Nuestra Señora del Rosario de la Punta (Our Lady of the Rosary at the Point) is the most intensively investigated 18th-century Native American mission community in the Southeast.  The mission community (depicted left, in an artist’s reconstruction of the church and possible council house at la Punta) was established just south of the Rosario Line—a defensive earthen berm with bastions and redoubts—and was one of six mission communities that existed within cannon shot of Castillo de San Marcos, as illustrated on the historic Antonio Arredondo Map of 1737. These communities represent the last vestiges of the once extensive mission system established by Franciscan missionaries in northern Florida and southeast Georgia from the late 16th century until the beginning of the 18th century.  [Read more...]

pablosabateThe Pablo Sabate Site:  St. Augustine’s colonial downtown district exists as the most enduring location of European origin in the United States, having been settled since 1572. A diverse array of archaeological resources, the result of 438 years of concentrated human occupation, reflects the community’s multicultural heritage. This report presents preliminary information from the Archaeology Division’s investigations at the Pablo Sabate Site in 2009. It illustrates the complexity of archaeological deposits derived from continuous redevelopment. This project yielded an assortment of archaeological features and items dating from the late 1600s to the early 1900s, with some deposits reflecting the City’s more colorful past. [Read more...]

The Young Avenue Site: Situated along the northwestern shore of Anastasia Island, the Young Avenue Site has been occupied intermittently for more than 3,500 years.  The site is located in a parkland-like setting flanked by a dune ridge on the east and marsh on the west. Estimated at approximately 15 acres, the site is located near a natural freshwater source as seen by the occurrence of sedges and cattails along the bank of the marsh.  Based on a series of investigations undertaken by the City’s Archaeology Program in 2007 and 2008, the Young Avenue Site is considered to be the best example in the St. Augustine area of a Woodland Period occupation (i.e., circa 500 B.C. to A.D. 900). [Read more...]